Visitor Center at Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, Roanoke Island, North Carolina

Sector: Government

Fort Raleigh National Historical SiteFort Raleigh National Historic Site marks the location of the first English settlement in the U.S., Roanoke Colony, also known as the “Lost Colony.” Founded in 1587, the colony collapsed sometime between 1587 and 1590 when supply ships failed to arrive on time. When next visited, the settlement was abandoned, and no survivors were found. The fate of the colony remains a mystery.

Fort Raleigh National Historic Site was established on April 5, 1941 and is owned by the National Park Service. Its buildings were constructed in 1965-66 and are considered significant because of their architectural design.

The Fort Raleigh Visitor Center serves as the primary visitor contact center for the site, which attracts over 300,000 visitors annually. The renovation and rehabilitation efforts included correction of any structural damage found inside the walls, replacement of drywall and ceiling materials, replacement of ceiling and wall insulation, replacement of carpet throughout the building, replacement of ventilation system ductwork, replacement of the HVAC system, repair of structural damage to the exterior walls and replacement of the wall’s surface, and complete removal of mold and mildew throughout the building. All work was performed in accordance with LEED standards. As part of the renovation effort, each building was provided with an automatic fire sprinkler system and a fire alarm system.

Owner

National Park Service

Client

Wiley Wilson

Location

Roanoke Island, NC

Services Provided

  • Design analysis of interior life safety, fire sprinkler, fire pump, and fire alarm systems
  • Construction documents development, including specification and drawings
  • Shop submittal reviews
  • Interim site reviews

Size

6,027 SF

CONSTRUCTION COST

N/A

Completion Date

2009